The accounts team sits within the wider finance department and consists of three accounts assistants and two junior accounts assistants, all reporting to the financial controller.
The role of an accounts assistant is to provide support to the financial controller and finance team to ensure that the duties of the finance department are carried out in a timely and efficient manner.
Main responsibilities include:
- accounts payable postings;
- other postings e.g. hard costs, journals, receipts;
- weekly expenses;
- printing of cheques as required;
- posting of soft cost;
- posting of batches and filing of batches when posted;
- daily finalising of uploaded soft costs and time batches;
- uploading taxi cost batches and matching them to late night taxi forms, chasing for any missing forms;
- printing & circulating of weekly and monthly reports;
- daily monitoring of control accounts / batch listings / time recording balances; and
- weekly reports on account matters to the financial controller.
This job description encompasses the main duties of the role and is by no means exhaustive. It is anticipated that duties may vary from time to time according to the needs of the department.
Broadly, we want to recruit an individual that fulfils the following criteria:
- the right candidate will have four to five years previous experience of working in accounts in a professional services environment;
- experience of legal systems and particularly Elite is desirable. Good keyboard skills and competence in Word, Excel and Outlook are required;
- they must be able to demonstrate high levels of drive, determination and focus. They must possess the ability to follow instruction and be able to work and communicate with clients and colleagues at all levels; and
- it is essential that the candidate will have an eye for detail and the ability to act positively, creatively and intuitively when presented with challenges. The job holder is expected to work within the established SRA rules and departmental procedures. There is a high volume of work to process and the job holder will be expected to prioritise and use their initiative and commercial sense to ensure that queries are resolved efficiently and effectively.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Macfarlanes we understand the importance of an inclusive culture, the continued development of which has been identified as one of our key priorities. Our focus is to foster an inclusive culture throughout the firm, from entry level to partnership. It is about recruiting, retaining and promoting all groups in the firm fairly, and we are continually reviewing our processes to ensure that everyone has the same chance to develop and advance. An inclusive, forward-thinking culture also enables us to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, bringing different perspectives and experiences, making Macfarlanes an exciting and stimulating place to work. We seek to recruit the best candidates, regardless of gender, race or ethnicity, background, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation or any other characteristic.